Parish Council Minutes. January 14.

 

Attending:

Councillors Mr R Pearson (Chair) Mr M Newton (Vice-Chair) Mr S Tyack, Mr N Jackson,

 Mr A Tait together with Mrs A Newton (Clerk)

 

Apologies for Absence: Mrs R Pawley and Mr B Ball,

Public: 1 member of the public

Meeting opened at 8pm.

 

  1. Minutes of Previous Meeting:

It was proposed by Mr A Tait and seconded by Mr N Jackson that the minutes of the meeting of 2nd December 2013 were taken as read, agreed as a true and correct record and signed by the Chair Mr R Pearson.

 

  1. Matters Arising:

The yew hedge in the cemetery – Mrs R Pawley was absent so Mr R Pearson will contact her to ascertain progress with this matter.

Web site – Mr L White gave a presentation on the workings of the new Village Website, he explained that each group within the village would be represented, the Parish Council included, and this will allow information such as forthcoming meetings and Parish Council minutes to be uploaded to the website. This will require a small amount of training for each group’s administrator and it was decided that the Clerk, Mr M Newton and Mr N Jackson will received this training for the Parish Council and a suitable date will be decided for this to take place.

Parking in the roadway outside Kingham station – The Clerk reported that she had written to Oxfordshire County Council Highways Department and a copy of the letter was sent to West Oxfordshire District Council and Thames Valley Police no replies have yet been received.

The moles in the Churchyard and the Village Green - The Clerk has contacted Pestakers who will deal with the problem as soon as the weather allows.

Mr M Newton reported that Mr P Jones had agreed verbally to continue with the mowing contract for the coming season.

 

  1. Accounts for Payment:

It was proposed by Mr A Tait and seconded by Mr S Tyack that the following payments should be made

Parish Clerk Wages                        £564.39

 

  1. Correspondence:

A letter was received from the Cotswold Volunteers asking for a grant of £300 towards supporting their community transport. The Parish Council felt that at this moment there were no funds available, it was also felt that the care committee carried out this function within the village.

 

Mr Leo White sent an email requesting payment for top up texts for the flooding early warning system and attended the meeting to explain the requirements of the flooding group and the operation of the early warning equipment. Mr L White explained that there are now about 20 people on the flood group alert list, and that with the recent heavy rain the levels in the stream have been fluctuating, which has resulted in a high number of text alerts over a relatively short period. He now feels he is in a position to recalibrate the alert levels which in future should reduce the number of text alerts during this type of adverse weather. The Council will reimburse Mr L White and Mr L White will make every effort to collect the agreed subscription from the members of the flood group and pass this on to the Council.

 

  1. Precept Budget 2014/15:

Following last month’s precept discussion the requirements for 2014/15 were reviewed and a final figure of £14000 was agreed, the Clerk will complete the precept request form and send it to Cotswold District Council. This was proposed by Mr N Jackson and seconded by Mr S Tyack and carried unanimously. There will possibly be a surplus of £2000 at the end of this financial year and it was decided to explore the possibility of using this surplus to fund additional playground equipment for the younger children of the village. This was proposed by Mr N Jackson and seconded by Mr S Tyack and carried unanimously. The work on the retaining walls in the Churchyard needs to be carried out with some degree of urgency, to this end Councillors were asked to obtain contact details of local contractors to allow the Clerk to invite them to tender for the contract.

 

  1. Planning:

There were no planning applications this month

 

  1. Adjournment for questions from the Public:

There were no questions from the public.

 

  1. Any Other Business:

Mr N Jackson asked if the bill had been received for the Church clock, Mr R Pearson will speak to the Church warden and enquire on its progress.

Mr S Tyack reported that the gulley is blocked outside the old shop leading to a large puddle that covers the road and also a culvert is blocked outside the village, but still within parish boundaries, it is about half a mile before the village on the Stow road near the entrance to Bledington Grounds and it is causing flooding right across the road the Clerk will email Mr Bob Skillern of Gloucestershire Highways to report these issues.

Mr M Newton asked if it would be possible to change the Parish Councils deposit account to one that pays better interest, Mr N Jackson will look into this and report back at the next meeting.

Mr R Pearson said that though we do have flood signs would the Clerk write to Mr Bob Skillern to ask if it would be possible to have flood signs that say “please drive slowly through the flood” as people are not slowing down and this is causing the flood water to enter houses. It was decided to leave arranging a date for the next working party until next months meeting where clearing Little Lane would be the priority. Mr R Pearson reported that he had been in contact with Ms G Trotter the landowner of the land behind the school field who has agreed that the allotments could be accommodated there on condition that the Parish Council arrange and pay for the legal documentation. Mr R Pearson will seek the advice of Mr A Packe on the most appropriate way to proceed.

 

Meeting closed at 9.00

Date and Time of Next Meeting:    3rd February 2014 at 8pm

 

 

 

like0