Parish Council Minutes July 2017

~~Bledington Parish Council

Minutes of the meeting on 3rd July 2017 at 8.00 pm in the Village Hall

Attending:
Councilors Mr. R Pearson (Chair), Mr. M Newton (Vice-Chair) Mr. A Tait. Mr. S Tyack, Mrs. R Pawley and Mr. B Ball, together with Mrs. A. Newton (Clerk)
Apologies for Absence: Mr. N Jackson,
Public: 1 members of the public 
Meeting opened at 8.00 pm

1. Minutes of Previous Meeting:
It was proposed by Mr. A Tait and seconded by Mr. M Newton that the minutes of the meeting of 5th June 2017 were taken as read, agreed as a true and correct record and signed by Mr. R Pearson (Chair)

2. Matters Arising:
Painting railings in Churchyard – Mr. Tait has spoken to Mr. Harries who is willing to carry out this work if the Parish Council will supply 2.5 litres of Black Hammerite Smooth. Mr. Pearson thanked Mr. Harries for this very generous offer, he will obtain the required paint and deliver it to Mr. Harries in the near future.
Churchill Parish Council – No further communication has been received from CPC, however the Clerk has applied to the Feastival organisers for Bledington’s share of the grant to go to the Villager Bus Service.
Bridge in Station Lane – Gloucestershire Highways have replied to our query saying they have no information on any bridgeworks for either Gloucestershire or Oxfordshire.
Notice Boards –  Mr. Tyack will carry out this work during the summer period.
Parish Clerk Vacancy – The advertisement has gone into the Bledington News with a copy on the village notice boards. To date there has been no expressions of interest, Mr. Pearson asked all Councillors to canvas likely candidates.
Kissing gate – Mr. Pearson has spoken to Mr. Pare who is happy for this to be done and has been trying to deal with this but the hold-up appears to be with Gloucestershire CC, Mr. Pearson has been given a contact and will pursue this matter.
Second Defibrillator – we are still awaiting the decommissioning of the public phone box before this can be actioned, Mr. Newton has applied to DC Julian Beale for a grant towards the cost of the extra defibrillator.
Weed in Brook –  Mr. Newton has spoken to several companies who have appeared keen to quote for this work but all have failed to make any further contact, Mr. Newton will continue to try to arrange for this to be carried out. Given the state of the weed a working party will be convened on the 5th August to deal with this, Mr. Ball will arrange the publicity.


3. Accounts for Payment:
It was proposed by Mr. B Ball and seconded by Mr. A Tait that the following payments should be made:
Mr. P Jones  Grasscutting  £760.00
Mr. C Notman Tree Works  £1236.00
Mrs. A Newton Wages  £564.39

4. Financial Regs and Risk Assessment:
The Council reviewed these documents and were satisfied that the Risk Assessment and Financial Regulations are up to date and fit for purpose. It was proposed by Mr. B Ball and seconded by Mr. S Tyack and carried unanimously. The next review will be in July 2018. 
 

5. Correspondence:
Thames Water – The lease for the Thames Water pumping station is due for renewal. The Parish Council are happy to renew this lease but are concerned that Thames water have not given the required three months’ notice. Mr. Pearson has taken expert advice and as the rent has not been reviewed, this should be increased to £180.00 per year and annual increases linked to the Retail Price Index. Mr. Tyack will check that the perimeter fence is in good order prior to the lease being renewed. It will now be explored as to who has the responsibility to draw up a new lease.

The Big Feastival sent an invitation to the pre-show “local residents meeting” on Wednesday 26th July from 6pm. Unfortunately, no Councillors are available to attend. Mrs R Pawley will contact the organisers to inform them, and to say that our concerns about the traffic management arrangements remain the same.

A legacy was received from Ms Hazel Gibbs of £500 for the provision of a bench “for the use of the people of the village who had been so friendly towards her”. Mr. Newton suggested that a good position would be somewhere near the swings on the village green to give parents somewhere to sit whilst their children were playing. As there is no urgency, councillors are asked to give this some thought, Mr. Pearson will also speak to Mr. Orr-Ewing to see if he would be prepared to contribute towards this.

 A Gloucestershire Highways Customer Satisfaction Survey has been received and needs to be completed by the end of July. Mr B Ball will complete the survey with the views of the Council.


6. Planning:
Planning application no 17/01752 for part demolition of existing stables and erection of new stables and horse-walker at Micklands Hill Farm, Stow road Bledington. This application is going to Planning Committee Meeting on 12th July 2017. Mr. Pearson has tried to contact DC Julian Beale to tell him that the concerns of the council have now been addressed and that a referral to the Planning Committee is not now necessary. He will continue to do so. With regard to the demolition of the existing house DC Julian Beale will be asked for clarification on the current status and for a better procedure for communication between the planning department and Parish Councils.

7. Adjournment for questions from the Public:
A resident reported that the parking for the school at dropping off and picking up times was dangerous and obstructive to both the residents of the village, the visitors to the school and the traffic trying to pass the school. Mr. S Tyack will speak to the Headmistress. Mr. Newton added that the Police Community Support Officer who used to attend and assist with this problem has now retired and it is not known at present if he will be replaced. Mr. Newton will ask at Stow Police Station if this arrangement can continue. The Parish Council are also hopeful that the “School Safety Zone”, promised for April, will be installed by the Autumn.

8. Any other Business:
Mr. Ball reported that hedges, particularly in Little lane, were overgrowing the public footpaths. Little Lane is to be dealt with by contractors and a note will be put in the Bledington News asking all residents who have property adjoining any footway to ensure that vegetation is not allowed to overgrow these footway’s.
Mr. Newton reported that a resident had told him that an increasing number of rats have been seen, particularly in the Chapel Lane area, the Clerk will contact Pestakers and engage them to deal with this problem, and the moles in the churchyard and cemetery.

Meeting closed at 8.45 pm.
Date and Time of next Meeting: 4th September 2017

like0