Parish Council Minutes October 2017

Minutes of the meeting on 2nd October 2017 at 8.00 pm in the Village Hall

 

Attending:

Councilors Mr. R Pearson (Chair), Mr. M Newton (Vice-Chair) Mr. N Jackson, Mr. A Tait. Mr. S Tyack, Mrs. R Pawley and Mr. B Ball, together with Mrs. A. Newton (Clerk)

Apologies for Absence: 0

Public: 0 members of the public  

Meeting opened at 8.00 pm

 

1.    Minutes of Previous Meeting:

It was proposed by Mr. A Tait and seconded by Mr. S Tyack that the minutes of the meeting of 4th September 2017 were taken as read, agreed as a true and correct record and signed by Mr. R Pearson (Chair)

 

2.    Matters Arising:

Painting rails in Churchyard – This has now been completed and the Parish Councils thanks are extended to Mr. Harries for carrying out this work. Mr. Pearson will go to see him to thank him personally.

Notice Boards – This will be completed when Mr. Tyack has some spare time.

Kissing gate – Mr. Pearson reported that he is waiting to be given the name of the person responsible, he will chase this up.

Second Defibrillator – we are awaiting notification from BT that the box has been decommissioned before this can be actioned, Mr. Newton has applied to DC Julian Beale for a grant towards the cost of the extra defibrillator. Mr. Newton will request permission from the Village Hall Committee to fix the existing defibrillator to an outside wall of the hall and Mr. Pearson will enquire if permissions are required from planning etc.

Weed in Brook – Mr. Pearson reported a good turnout for the working party and the thanks of the Parish Council are extended to all who attended and to the Kings Head for again sponsoring the event. The weed remains a habitual problem and will be discussed again in AOB.

H Gibbs bench – Mr. Newton will obtain a price for a 2 metre bench to match the existing new bench.

School Parking – The School safety zone was due to be started on the 28th September, to date there is no sign of any work starting. Mr. Newton will make contact with the new PCSO as soon as they are in post to ask for regular visits.

Play area – Mr. Newton will complete the maintenance in the Play Area this month, and Mr. Pearson will make enquiries about replacing the tree trunks.

Cutting Back Trees – Mr. W. Pearson has given a verbal quote of approximately £100 for this work, this was discussed and agreed.

Hedge in Cemetery – Mr. Pearson has discussed this with Mr. Hoare.

Re-surfacing work – it was hoped that County Councillor Nigel Moor would be in attendance to discuss this problem, Mr. Pearson will phone him to obtain an update on the School Safety Zone and to inform him of our dis-satisfaction with the way the re-surfacing was managed.

 

 

3.    Accounts for Payment:

It was proposed by Mr. B Ball and seconded by Mr. N Jackson that the following payments should be made:

Mr. P Jones                       Grasscutting                           £1140.00

Grant Thornton                 Audit                                       £120.00

A Newton                          Wages                                     £564.39

BHIB                                 Insurance                                £1040.68

 

 

4.    Correspondence:

Reply from Thames Water – Mr. Newton apologised to the Council for misleading them about this item last month, he explained that in their previous reply, as they didn’t mention the new terms of the lease he assumed they had accepted them. This is not the case, this latest communication states that under the terms of section 5.2 of the lease they have the right to renew at the same rent and with the same terms. Mr. Newton pointed out that whilst this is the case, section 5.2 also states that the application to renew must give 3 months’ notice prior to the date of renewal, their request had been dated barely 3 weeks prior to renewal and as such we now had the right to negotiate new terms. It was decided that given these latest complications professional help will be sought.

Reply from Feastavil – A reply has been received from the organisers of the Big Feastavil with reference to the charity donation, they are happy to support the Villager Bus service. They will let us know the final figure when the decision is made.

Letter from Guides – A letter has been received from Bledington Guides asking permission to place a “Geo-cache” in the bus shelter, this was discussed and the Parish Council were happy to support this.

 

 

5.    Planning:

Variation of condition 2 to allow for amendments to the design of the Community Shop and Café.

This was discussed and there were no objections, a letter of support will be sent to the Planning Department.

Listed building consent for internal re-arrangement of rear wing with external door and window alterations at Village Farm, The Green, Bledington.

This was discussed and there were no objections.

 

6.    Adjournment for questions from the Public:

None

 

7.    Any other Business:

Mr. Ball asked that we congratulate the Kings Head on being named “Good Pub Guide Pub of the Year” all were agreed.

Mrs. Pawley reported that she had attended a Big Feastival de-brief, the general feeling being in line with the comments from this Council that the traffic management and general organisation this year has shown a marked improvement.

Mr. Jackson stated that although the turnout for the brook clearing was very good the problem of the recurring weed needs to be dealt with. Mr. Newton stated that he had tried two different companies earlier this year, both had said that they could help but neither had come back to us, he will try again during the winter. Mr. Jackson also stated that he was trying to update his email list to make publicising working parties easier.

Mr. Tait reported that a contractor cutting the hedge around Middle Orchard flats had caused some damage to the grass verge making mowing difficult. The Chair asked all Councillors to inspect this verge and report back at the next meeting. Mr. Tait also reported that dog fouling was again becoming a problem, a reminder to all dog owners will be put in the Bledington News. He also reported that there are bushes alongside the Old Burford Road which require cutting back, Mr. W Pearson will be asked to quote for this work.

Mr. Tyack asked if the hedge bordering the orchard in Station Road is to be cut, the Clerk replied that the last communication she received indicated that this was dealt with by the owner on an annual contract, Mrs. Pawley will make enquiries.

Mr. Newton reported that there are two dead trees within the Middle orchard site which could become a danger. Ownership of these trees will be established and those responsible will be asked to make these safe.

Mr. Pearson asked if a working party could be organised to clear the ivy from the Churchyard walls and to tidy the Churchyard prior to the Remembrance Sunday parade. It was agreed that this would be organised for Saturday 4th November at 11am. Mr. Ball will prepare a poster and Mr. Jackson will circulate an email.

Mr. Pearson stated that to date there has been no response to the advertisement for a Parish Clerk, Mrs. Newton stated that the advertisement has now been sent to GATPC for circulation, it is hoped that this may illicit some interest. Meanwhile all Councillors are asked to canvas likely candidates.

Mr. Jackson asked that a financial spreadsheet be circulated prior to the November meeting when discussions begin on the budget for the next financial year.

 

Meeting closed at 9.00 o’clock

Date and Time of next Meeting: November 2017

like0